Final India-England ODI faces low ticket sales
Kolkata: Blame it on the overkill of cricket or lack of crowdpullers in the Indian dressing room, ticket sales have been poor so far for the fifth and final ODI against England.
The fact that Indians are in with a chance of wrapping up the series 5-0 has failed to pull spectators to the Eden gardens as there has been no rush at all at the counters, while the figures provided by the hosts Cricket Association of Bengal have been very impressive.
Till yesterday`s count only 5,000-odd tickets were sold for the last dead rubber of the series and the state association estimates a crowd of about 40,000 maximum for the 64,000 capacity stadium.
Ranji winning Bengal captain Sambaran Banerjee blamed it on the overkill of cricket.
Indirectly blaming the Board for the poor planning of the series, Banerjee told PTI: "There was no need of this series."
With India and England playing each other since July -- from the first Test in Lord`s -- Banerjee said it`s been too much of cricket.
"There is no excitement left in the India and England series. Both the countries are playing non stop cricket for four months. Only a month back there was a one-day series against the same team. How much crowd do you expect?" he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM