Finger injury forces Jayawardene out of Bangladesh Tests
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s veteran batsman and former captain Mahela Jayawardene has been forced out of next month`s three-match Test series against Bangladesh due to a finger injury.
"Jayawardene dislocated the middle finger of his left hand while attempting a catch on Sunday in a domestic first class game for SSC against NCC at his home ground. Scans had later shown a fracture," a Sri lanka Cricket release said today.
It said that the right-hander would require four to six weeks for a complete recovery. Jayawardene`s exit against the vastly improved Bangladesh line-up would be a blow as it is not clear if Kumar Sangakkara would be fully fit to play.
The left-hander missed the latter part of Sri Lanka`s tour of Australia including the third Test in Sydney due to a finger injury. Sangakkara has not taken part in the ongoing domestic matches.
Jayawardene left captaincy at the end of the Australian tour and Angelo Mathews has been named the new Sri Lankan captain.
The former captain`s place would be filled either by Thilan Samaraweera or Taranga Paranavithana, both of whom were axed by the new selection panel chaired by Sanath Jayasuriya.
The first of the three Tests against Bangladesh starts on March 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday