First Test between Australia and South Africa ends in a draw
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Brisbane: The first cricket Test between Australia and South Africa at the Gabba ended in a draw with the Proteas' on 166 for five in their second innings before stumps were called on the final day.
Michael Hussey (100) brought up his 16th Test century early Tuesday, before Australia declared before lunch on 565 for five with captain and man of the match Michael Clarke unbeaten on 259.
Ed Cowan (136) too scored a hundred.
South Africa had made 450 in the first innings, thanks to Hashim Amla (104) and Jacques Kallis (147).
South Africa: Over: 68 II Score: 166/5 (2nd innings)
Handshakes all around as the first Test between Australia and South Africa at Gabba has ended in a draw. Michael Clarke had declared the Australian innings at 565/5 taking a lead of 115. After giving some early blows to the Proteas, who were one player short, there was some hope that the match might produce a result. However, first innings centurion Jacques Kallis (49) and AB de Villiers staved off the charging Aussie blowers to ensure that the match ends in a draw. No prizes for guessing who the man of the match is - double centurion Michael Clarke.
TEA: SOUTH AFRICAOver: 38 II Score: 114/3
The first Test match is heading for a draw after Kallis and De Villiers stemmed the flow of wickets. Remember – SA only have six wickets remaining in their second dig owing to the fact that JP Duminy is out of the entire series due to injury.
Australian captain Michael Clarke declared the first innings at 565/5 after the hosts had taken a lead of 115 runs over South Africa.
They dismissed three early Proteas batsmen to set the Test match alive after it seemed headed for a likely draw.
Clarke ended unbeaten on 259 giving away a chance of scoring another triple ton with Mathew Wade on 19.
Alvrio Peterson, captain Graeme Smith and Hashim Amla were the three South African wickets to fall with two of them going to James Pattinson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards