Five reasons why MS Dhoni should give up Test Captaincy
Zee Media Bureau/Yogesh Pandey
New Delhi: Team India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been facing criticism for his meandering approach to handling crucial situations in Test matches. Burgeoning clamour for his removal may not attract everyone`s attention, but cannot be dismissed point-blank too.
Here are the five reasons why Dhoni should renounce Test captaincy.
#1: Dhoni has failed to replicate his ODI performances in Test matches. His personal record in Tests is below par. He has only averaged around 39 in this format which becomes worst on foreign turfs. If the captain himself is unable to perform, how can he ask his team mates to outclass the opposition.
#2: The skipper has not been able to end India`s Test losing streak overseas. When India embarks on England tour starting this June for a five-match Test series, the side will be carrying a baggage of not winning a single Test abroad since June 2011.
#3: Dhoni`s age is not on his side. He is already 33 and sooner or later Cricket Board will relieve him of this role. Changing of guards, if done now, can be a part of long-term planning and may bear fruits for the team.
#4: India has an alternative in Virat Kohli who has proved himself both at home and abroad. Kohli has come out as a saviour on many occassions in recent tours and is still young. He has six Test hundreds to his name and is currently in outstanding nick. The 25-year-old has in the past successfully led India`s under-19 side and currently he is the skipper of IPL team Royal Challengers Bangalore.
#5: Dhoni has an uphill task at hand to defend India`s World Champion`s title next year. More defeats in Test matches can greatly affect his ODI prowess and dent India`s prospects in World Cup 2015. Hence he needs to concentrate on One-day matches and pass the Test baton to someone who is capable.
Dhoni needs to realise that nothing is permanent in this world, even if it is the captain`s job. If he decides early, it will be beneficial, both for the Team and Dhoni himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter