Five reasons why MS Dhoni should give up Test Captaincy
Zee Media Bureau/Yogesh Pandey
New Delhi: Team India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been facing criticism for his meandering approach to handling crucial situations in Test matches. Burgeoning clamour for his removal may not attract everyone`s attention, but cannot be dismissed point-blank too.
Here are the five reasons why Dhoni should renounce Test captaincy.
#1: Dhoni has failed to replicate his ODI performances in Test matches. His personal record in Tests is below par. He has only averaged around 39 in this format which becomes worst on foreign turfs. If the captain himself is unable to perform, how can he ask his team mates to outclass the opposition.
#2: The skipper has not been able to end India`s Test losing streak overseas. When India embarks on England tour starting this June for a five-match Test series, the side will be carrying a baggage of not winning a single Test abroad since June 2011.
#3: Dhoni`s age is not on his side. He is already 33 and sooner or later Cricket Board will relieve him of this role. Changing of guards, if done now, can be a part of long-term planning and may bear fruits for the team.
#4: India has an alternative in Virat Kohli who has proved himself both at home and abroad. Kohli has come out as a saviour on many occassions in recent tours and is still young. He has six Test hundreds to his name and is currently in outstanding nick. The 25-year-old has in the past successfully led India`s under-19 side and currently he is the skipper of IPL team Royal Challengers Bangalore.
#5: Dhoni has an uphill task at hand to defend India`s World Champion`s title next year. More defeats in Test matches can greatly affect his ODI prowess and dent India`s prospects in World Cup 2015. Hence he needs to concentrate on One-day matches and pass the Test baton to someone who is capable.
Dhoni needs to realise that nothing is permanent in this world, even if it is the captain`s job. If he decides early, it will be beneficial, both for the Team and Dhoni himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27