Flat track but Sehwag played exceptionally well: Richardson
Indore: Former West Indies captain and team manager Richie Richardson feels playing on flat track helped Virender Sehwag but it doesn`t take away anything from the Indian`s "exceptional knock" of a record 219 in the fourth one-dayer here.
"Sehwag played exceptionally well. It was a flat wicket. Even though Sehwag batted so well, I thought if one or two of our batsmen could stick in, we could get to that total. But it was not to be," Richardson told the mediapersons after the match last night.
"We knew they were going to put on a big total. The outfield was lush green. It was always going to be a high-scoring match. But we were very disappointed as the Indians batted much better on that wicket. Our captain was very positive and said if they could get it, we could too," said the team manager.
Richardson, however, refused to be drawn into the comparison of Sehwag`s innings with Vivian Richards` magnificent 189 against England at Old Trafford back in 1984. Richards` innings was the then highest score in ODIs.
"I don`t want to compare the innings of Sehwag with anyone else. That innings came when we were in difficulties and he put on a great partnership with Michael Holding. The wicket was difficult. This was a flat track, but Sehwag`s innings was exceptional," he explained.
He was not of the opinion that Darren Bravo`s absence was one of the reasons for the West Indies` defeat.
"Players are going to get injured time to time and we have to replace that player. We have lost games with Bravo," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future