Flat track but Sehwag played exceptionally well: Richardson
Indore: Former West Indies captain and team manager Richie Richardson feels playing on flat track helped Virender Sehwag but it doesn`t take away anything from the Indian`s "exceptional knock" of a record 219 in the fourth one-dayer here.
"Sehwag played exceptionally well. It was a flat wicket. Even though Sehwag batted so well, I thought if one or two of our batsmen could stick in, we could get to that total. But it was not to be," Richardson told the mediapersons after the match last night.
"We knew they were going to put on a big total. The outfield was lush green. It was always going to be a high-scoring match. But we were very disappointed as the Indians batted much better on that wicket. Our captain was very positive and said if they could get it, we could too," said the team manager.
Richardson, however, refused to be drawn into the comparison of Sehwag`s innings with Vivian Richards` magnificent 189 against England at Old Trafford back in 1984. Richards` innings was the then highest score in ODIs.
"I don`t want to compare the innings of Sehwag with anyone else. That innings came when we were in difficulties and he put on a great partnership with Michael Holding. The wicket was difficult. This was a flat track, but Sehwag`s innings was exceptional," he explained.
He was not of the opinion that Darren Bravo`s absence was one of the reasons for the West Indies` defeat.
"Players are going to get injured time to time and we have to replace that player. We have lost games with Bravo," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’