Flintoff backs Pietersen to ‘be at his best’ against India
London: Former England captain Andrew Flintoff has tipped Kevin Pietersen to prove his doubters wrong during the Test series against India, and believes the South Africa born batsman would be at his best during their tour to the sub continental giants.
Pietersen, who was dropped in August for sending provocative texts to South Africa players, was added to the squad for the India tour after a successful reintegration process, and Flintoff believes its good news for Captain Alastair Cook.
“I think [captain] Alastair Cook might benefit from this”, Flintoff told BBC Sport. “He might get KP at his best. When Kevin`s got a point to prove he usually proves it with the bat,” BBC quoted Flintoff, as saying.
“When people get on his case he comes out swinging and scores runs. We saw that when he came into the international game in South Africa and he just kept scoring hundreds. In his last innings, he got a hundred at Headingley and saved England,” he added.
Flintoff also expects Pietersen`s reintegration to be more difficult for certain teammates than it will be for the controversial batsman himself.
“I think Kev will be fine. It might be a bit more uncomfortable for some of the others who have not been too kind in books, in paper reports and in interviews,” Flintoff said.
“Everyone`s got an ego. Maybe there are a few clashing in that dressing-room at the minute and they just need to put them to one side and carry on. If Pietersen starts scoring runs and England wins it will quickly be forgotten,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM