Forgotten NSW speedster Hazlewood keen to fast-track national call-up
Sydney: Formerly known as Australia`s teenage sensation, Josh Hazlewood is about to make his comeback - at the ripe old age of 20.
Hazlewood was creating a stir well before 18-year-old Pat Cummins burst into Australian colours in South Africa this month.
Yet after selection in the Test touring party to India last year, it all went pear-shaped for the tall Tamworth quick with talent to burn.
Thanks to a long-term back injury, it has been 610 days since Hazlewood``s last first-class appearance for New South Wales, a period that will finally come to an end when the Blues take on Victoria at the SCG from today.
"It`s been a while … since February last year," Hazlewood said.
He added: " I haven`t played a longer format than a one-dayer so far. I`m a bit nervous, I guess, but just looking to get through it and take it from here. My back`s feeling pretty good. I bowled quite a few overs in India while we were over there for the Champions League and quite a few overs since then. It will be good to have a bowl when everyone`s not trying to hit you for six every ball.
Despite his prolonged absence, Hazlewood remains a focal, if slightly forgotten, member of the fab four of emerging Australian fast bowlers - the others are James Pattinson, 21, and fellow Blues pacemen Cummins and Mitchell Starc, 21 - who many believe will form the Test attack, at least in part.
Of that group he was the first to be chosen for Australia - making his single one-day international outing against England in June last year before earning Test squad selection at 19.
Hazlewood does not see himself as having to make up too much lost ground.
A back injury is to young pace bowlers what pit stops are to racing car drivers, and he hopes his time in pit lane is now behind him.
" I don``t think [I`m playing] catch-up,```` he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani