Former BCCI President Bindra seeks Srinivasan`s ouster
New Delhi: Former BCCI President I S Bindra, on Saturday, demanded immediate removal of incumbent N Srinivasan due to the ongoing IPL spot-fixing scandal, calling him "arrogant" and insisting that his continuance would damage Indian cricket.
"I have been keeping quiet on this issue but his statement that he will not step down, in Mumbai today, shows that he is as arrogant as ever," Bindra told PTI.
"I demand that he should step down from the BCCI President`s position forthwith and not cause anymore damage to Indian cricket which has been built on the sacrifices of a number of sports administrators and tremendous contribution of our icons," he said.
Bindra was critical of Srinivasan`s style of functioning and his complete disregard for probity and accountability.
"His statement in Mumbai is shocking. It shows that he has not learnt anything from this episode. He continues to remain defiant as if nothing has happened. Under the circumstances, I cannot remain silent anymore," said the Punjab Cricket Association President.
Srinivasan, whose son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings CEO Gurunath Meiyappa was arrested for alleged involvement in betting, has remained defiant despite the growing crisis. He today stated that he would not be "bulldozed" into resigning and that he had done no wrong.
Bindra said that India is the epicentre of cricket and had an added responsibility to ensure that the game remained clean.
"The events of the last week has greatly disturbed sports lovers of the country. What has happened has saddened everyone. It is in the best interest of the game that those involved step down to restore credibility," he said.
The IPL has been rocked by a spot-fixing scandal, which has led to the arrest of three cricketers, including India pacer S Sreesanth, and a number of bookies all over India.
The crisis has led to the arrest of small-time actor Vindoo Dara Singh, who took the name of Gurunath during police interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly