Former BCCI President Bindra seeks Srinivasan`s ouster
New Delhi: Former BCCI President I S Bindra, on Saturday, demanded immediate removal of incumbent N Srinivasan due to the ongoing IPL spot-fixing scandal, calling him "arrogant" and insisting that his continuance would damage Indian cricket.
"I have been keeping quiet on this issue but his statement that he will not step down, in Mumbai today, shows that he is as arrogant as ever," Bindra told PTI.
"I demand that he should step down from the BCCI President`s position forthwith and not cause anymore damage to Indian cricket which has been built on the sacrifices of a number of sports administrators and tremendous contribution of our icons," he said.
Bindra was critical of Srinivasan`s style of functioning and his complete disregard for probity and accountability.
"His statement in Mumbai is shocking. It shows that he has not learnt anything from this episode. He continues to remain defiant as if nothing has happened. Under the circumstances, I cannot remain silent anymore," said the Punjab Cricket Association President.
Srinivasan, whose son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings CEO Gurunath Meiyappa was arrested for alleged involvement in betting, has remained defiant despite the growing crisis. He today stated that he would not be "bulldozed" into resigning and that he had done no wrong.
Bindra said that India is the epicentre of cricket and had an added responsibility to ensure that the game remained clean.
"The events of the last week has greatly disturbed sports lovers of the country. What has happened has saddened everyone. It is in the best interest of the game that those involved step down to restore credibility," he said.
The IPL has been rocked by a spot-fixing scandal, which has led to the arrest of three cricketers, including India pacer S Sreesanth, and a number of bookies all over India.
The crisis has led to the arrest of small-time actor Vindoo Dara Singh, who took the name of Gurunath during police interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened