Former BCCI President Bindra seeks Srinivasan`s ouster
New Delhi: Former BCCI President I S Bindra, on Saturday, demanded immediate removal of incumbent N Srinivasan due to the ongoing IPL spot-fixing scandal, calling him "arrogant" and insisting that his continuance would damage Indian cricket.
"I have been keeping quiet on this issue but his statement that he will not step down, in Mumbai today, shows that he is as arrogant as ever," Bindra told PTI.
"I demand that he should step down from the BCCI President`s position forthwith and not cause anymore damage to Indian cricket which has been built on the sacrifices of a number of sports administrators and tremendous contribution of our icons," he said.
Bindra was critical of Srinivasan`s style of functioning and his complete disregard for probity and accountability.
"His statement in Mumbai is shocking. It shows that he has not learnt anything from this episode. He continues to remain defiant as if nothing has happened. Under the circumstances, I cannot remain silent anymore," said the Punjab Cricket Association President.
Srinivasan, whose son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings CEO Gurunath Meiyappa was arrested for alleged involvement in betting, has remained defiant despite the growing crisis. He today stated that he would not be "bulldozed" into resigning and that he had done no wrong.
Bindra said that India is the epicentre of cricket and had an added responsibility to ensure that the game remained clean.
"The events of the last week has greatly disturbed sports lovers of the country. What has happened has saddened everyone. It is in the best interest of the game that those involved step down to restore credibility," he said.
The IPL has been rocked by a spot-fixing scandal, which has led to the arrest of three cricketers, including India pacer S Sreesanth, and a number of bookies all over India.
The crisis has led to the arrest of small-time actor Vindoo Dara Singh, who took the name of Gurunath during police interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery