Former BCCI President Bindra seeks Srinivasan`s ouster
New Delhi: Former BCCI President I S Bindra, on Saturday, demanded immediate removal of incumbent N Srinivasan due to the ongoing IPL spot-fixing scandal, calling him "arrogant" and insisting that his continuance would damage Indian cricket.
"I have been keeping quiet on this issue but his statement that he will not step down, in Mumbai today, shows that he is as arrogant as ever," Bindra told PTI.
"I demand that he should step down from the BCCI President`s position forthwith and not cause anymore damage to Indian cricket which has been built on the sacrifices of a number of sports administrators and tremendous contribution of our icons," he said.
Bindra was critical of Srinivasan`s style of functioning and his complete disregard for probity and accountability.
"His statement in Mumbai is shocking. It shows that he has not learnt anything from this episode. He continues to remain defiant as if nothing has happened. Under the circumstances, I cannot remain silent anymore," said the Punjab Cricket Association President.
Srinivasan, whose son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings CEO Gurunath Meiyappa was arrested for alleged involvement in betting, has remained defiant despite the growing crisis. He today stated that he would not be "bulldozed" into resigning and that he had done no wrong.
Bindra said that India is the epicentre of cricket and had an added responsibility to ensure that the game remained clean.
"The events of the last week has greatly disturbed sports lovers of the country. What has happened has saddened everyone. It is in the best interest of the game that those involved step down to restore credibility," he said.
The IPL has been rocked by a spot-fixing scandal, which has led to the arrest of three cricketers, including India pacer S Sreesanth, and a number of bookies all over India.
The crisis has led to the arrest of small-time actor Vindoo Dara Singh, who took the name of Gurunath during police interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'