Former Delhi cricketer passes away
New Delhi: Former Delhi cricketer Rajeshwar Prasad Thapliyal has passed away after a brief illness.
He was 68 years old. He is survived by wife, a son and a daughter.
A leg-spiner of his era, Rajeshwar was one of the best school cricketers Delhi has ever produced. He was the member of Delhi Ranji team for two seasons 1962-64 and 1963-64.
Rajeshwar, who passed away yesterday evening, was also the captain of Delhi state school team and North Zone School team from 1963 to 1965.
Former Test Cricketer Mohinder Amarnath had also played under his captaincy in the prestigious Cooch Behar Trophy Cricket championship in North Zone team.
In 1962-63, he was declared the best bowler of All India schools by the BCCI.
In that particular Cooch Behar Trophy season he had taken a record 41 wickets in just four matches. In one match he took a record 16 wickets (9 and 7) against Northern Punjab team.
Rajeshwar was duly rewarded for his phenomenal bowling by the Indian board as he was selected for the All India Schools cricket team to tour Ceylone (now Sri Lanka) for the tri-series that included Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
Rajeshwar, who represented State Bank of India for more than two decades as an all-rounder, also represented Delhi University team in 1966 in All India Inter-University Cricket tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015
- Watch: Young Sikh boy takes on a bully outside UK school
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Breast cancer changes bone structure to make it spread: Study
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga