Former England captain Tony Greig passes away
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Sydney: Former England cricket captain and noted commentator Tony Greig has passed away on Saturday. The 66-year former cricket was suffering from lung cancer but he died of a heart attack at his home in Sydney on Saturday morning.
"He was rushed into St. Vincent's hospital. The staff of the emergency department worked on Mr Greig to no avail," St Vincent's spokesman David Faktor told Sydney Morning Herald.
Born in Queenstown, South Africa, Greig qualified to play
for England due to his Scottish parentage. His father was a Scot.
Greig played 58 Tests for England and scored 3599 runs at an average of 40.43 with 148 being his best. He hit 8 centuries and 20 fifties during his international career.
He was also a capable bowler who had 141 Test wickets and 48 ODI wickets to his name.
The 6 feet 6 inches tall man was a charismatic cricketer who led England successfully in the mid-1970. Greig’s international career ended when he joined hand with Kerry Packer and even became a secret agent of Packer’s World Series Cricket.
After he was sacked as England captain he changed his base and started living in Australia.
Channel Nine, with which Greig had a long-term relation as a commentator, said in a statement: "Tony Greig is a name synonymous with Australian cricket - from his playing days as the English captain we loved to hate, to his senior role in the revolution of World Series Cricket, his infamous car keys in the pitch reports and more than three decades of colourful and expert commentary."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?