Former Jamaica PM to chair Caribbean T20 League committee
Bridgetown (Barbados): The Caribbean Premier League (CPL) received a powerful endorsement with the news that former Jamaica Prime Minister PJ Patterson has agreed to chair the CPL Cricket Committee.
The former Jamaican leader has had a close association with West Indies cricket and was an original member of the Prime Ministerial Sub-Committee on the sport.
Patterson also chaired Caricom when the agreements to host Cricket World Cup came into being which brought in the Sunset legislation covering many aspects of the event.
"I am pleased to be a part of the Caribbean Premier League because I believe it will impact the region in countless ways," said Patterson Tuesday.
“I have expressed in the past that we have a special brand of cricket here in the West Indies and we need to capitalise on that."
Patterson was a member of the governance committee on West Indies Cricket who co-authored the Governance Report, also known as The Patterson Report, which was commissioned by the WICB in 2007.
The report looked at all the major facets of West Indies cricket and recommended solutions to issues of leadership, marketing, board structure and the relationship between the board and players.
“I believe the CPL will truly highlight our uniqueness to the world."
The inaugural CPL, from July 29 to Aug 26, has replaced the regional T20 tournament and will feature six franchises based around the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video