Former Jamaica PM to chair Caribbean T20 League committee
Bridgetown (Barbados): The Caribbean Premier League (CPL) received a powerful endorsement with the news that former Jamaica Prime Minister PJ Patterson has agreed to chair the CPL Cricket Committee.
The former Jamaican leader has had a close association with West Indies cricket and was an original member of the Prime Ministerial Sub-Committee on the sport.
Patterson also chaired Caricom when the agreements to host Cricket World Cup came into being which brought in the Sunset legislation covering many aspects of the event.
"I am pleased to be a part of the Caribbean Premier League because I believe it will impact the region in countless ways," said Patterson Tuesday.
“I have expressed in the past that we have a special brand of cricket here in the West Indies and we need to capitalise on that."
Patterson was a member of the governance committee on West Indies Cricket who co-authored the Governance Report, also known as The Patterson Report, which was commissioned by the WICB in 2007.
The report looked at all the major facets of West Indies cricket and recommended solutions to issues of leadership, marketing, board structure and the relationship between the board and players.
“I believe the CPL will truly highlight our uniqueness to the world."
The inaugural CPL, from July 29 to Aug 26, has replaced the regional T20 tournament and will feature six franchises based around the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why