Former Oz captain Waugh says replacing ‘in form’ Hussey tough job for selectors
Sydney: Former captain Steve Waugh believes Australian selectors would find it tough to replace retiring Michael Hussey, who has been in superb form of late, and added that it would be even more difficult than finding an alternate for retired Ricky Ponting.
Waugh said the selectors wouldn’t have had envisaged Hussey’s retirement, adding that the selectors were still banking on him as the backbone of the team, News.com.au reports.
Waugh said Hussey is an experienced campaigner in the middle order, who holds it all together for Australia, showing the young guys the rites of passage in the Australian cricket team.
The former skipper also believes the positive side of Hussey’s retirement is that many talented cricketers in the country would now get a crack at cementing their place in the Australia team.
Waugh added that Australia now has more time to plan for the Ashes, although you`ve really got to concentrate on what`s in front of you and India`s going to be a tough series for them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark