Former PCB chairman Sethi apologises to ECB chairman Clarke
Karachi: Discarded PCB chairman Najam Sethi has apparently sent an apology to England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Giles Clarke for attributing incorrect remarks to him.
According to the "Express Tribune" newspaper, Sethi sent an e-mail apologising to Clarke.
Sethi had said on his talk show on Geo news Channel that Clarke had told him during the ICC meeting held on January 9 in Dubai that if the draft proposals prepared by India, England and Australia were not accepted, they would quit the game`s administrative body.
According to Sethi, Clarke had said that since the three boards contributed more revenue to the ICC, they have a right to aspire for a `veto power` in the Council.
Sethi had then asked Clarke what if other cricketing nations did not accept the "undemocratic system"?
"We will quit the ICC," Sethi quoted Clarke as telling him in response. The report said that the ECB had sent a strong protest to the Pakistan board after Sethi`s remarks appeared in the British media.
Taking notice of the ECB protest, the ICC issued a statement in which it rebutted Sethi`s remarks about the Jan 9 meeting. When approached, the ECB director communication, Colin Gibson, confirmed the email exchanges between Sethi and Clarke but refused to reveal the content of the "private correspondence".
Asked if Sethi has apologised to Clarke, Gibson said,"We do not deny it".
Even when Ijaz Butt was Chairman of the board he had been forced to apologise to the ECB in 2011 after making some remarks about spot fixing being rampant in the England team. Butt apologized after the ECB threatened to seek damages from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees