Former players express concern over South Africa`s inconsistency
Johannesburg: South Africa might have won the recent Test series 2-1 against Sri Lanka at home but their "inconsistent" performance has came under attack from seasoned veterans of the game.
Former South African Test batsman and former selector Graeme Pollock told the daily SportsDay that he was at a loss to explain the Proteas` dips in form.
"It was a really solid win against Sri Lanka in Cape Town (last week), but I find it strange that between performances they are capable of putting in a real shocker," Pollock said.
He was commenting on the fact that between resounding victories over the visitors in the first Test at Centurion and the third one in Cape Town, the Proteas lost the second one in Durban by 208 runs.
"It`s a mystery to me how they can be excellent in one match and so poor in another," Pollock added.
Selector Craig Mathews, also a former Proteas medium paceman, concurred with Pollock that the South Africans should not take their victory over the Sri Lankans as conclusive proof that all was well with the team.
The veterans expressed concern about the Protea`s now established pattern of below-par performances against opponents directly after beating them.
In the 2010 season, South Africa had lost to India in Durban after first trouncing them in Centurion by an innings.
"Coach Gary Kirsten has got to be thinking that there is an issue with consistency, but I don`t know what the reason for the inconsistency is," Matthews told the daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you