Four options for England if Cook is out of squad
London: Hampshire opener Michael Carberry, who has scored six championship centuries this year and is averaging almost 60, thinks he can be in the England squad only if Alastair Cook is out of the team.
Twenty-nine- year-old Carberry said he thinks the `ship has sailed`, but he deserves a go if Cook fails.
Carberry`s opening partner Jimmy Adams, who was the top scorer in this season`s T20 with 668 runs, with two tons, and he hit a couple of 34s in Saturday`s triumph, could also be considered a replacement for Cook.
By selecting Eoin Morgan, the selectors have indicated that they would not consider anybody, who is averaging 39 in the four-day game.
Meanwhile, Geoffrey Boycott has been pitching for 22-year-old Adam Lyth, likening him to David Gower. The left-hander looks the best long-term contender, who likes to keep it ticking, as is the modern way.
Jon Trott, whose 119 in the final Test at the Oval last summer gave him a great base to play an Ashes series in Australia, is the fourth contender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her