Gambhir to lead as Dhoni, Tendulkar, Sehwag rested
Nagpur: Gautam Gambhir will lead a young Indian team as regular captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been rested for the first two ODI matches against New Zealand.
Along with Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Virender Sehwag have also been rested due to injury concerns. Both Tendulkar and Sehwag have a bit of shoulder problem and the Indian cricket board didn’t find it wise to aggravate their injuries ahead of an important tour to South Africa.
However, nothing has been mentioned as to why Ashish Nehra, one of India’s most consistent bowlers in recent times, doesn’t figure in the ODI list. If sources are to be believed he is injured.
“MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh were not considered due to injury concerns, which require attention and rehabilitation,” BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan and Nehra, who were part of the squad for the ODI series against Australia last month, were left out, while wicket-keeper Wriddhiman Saha, Ravindra Jadeja, Yusuf Pathan and S Sreesanth were recalled to the sqaud.
Wriddhiman has been rewarded for his brilliant 178 not out against Assam in the just-concluded Ranji Trophy match. Murali Vijay will open alongside Gambhir in the absence of Sehwag and Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, the very experienced Yuvraj Singh and Saurabh Tiwary will comprise the middle-order.
The spin department consists of R Ashwin, Pathan and Ravindra Jadeja.
The pace bowling department will be spearheaded by S Sreesanth and supported by R Vinay Kumar, Munaf Patel and Praveen Kumar.
The selection committee also named the Test team for the series against South Africa where Wriddhiman will be going as Dhoni’s understudy.
The team for the series against South Africa has five pacers including Zaheer, Ishant and Sreesanth along with young Jaidev Unadkat and Vidarbha pacer Umesh Yadav.
Team for first two ODIs against New Zealand: Gautam Gambhir (captain), Murali Vijay, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Sourav Tiwary, Wriddhiman Saha (wicketkeeper), R Ashwin, Praveen Kumar, R Vinay Kumar, Munaf Patel, S Sreesanth, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja.
Team for Test Series against South Africa: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag (vice-captain), Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Suresh Raina, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, S Sreesanth, Murali Vijay, Cheteshwar Pujara, Wriddhiman Saha, Jaydev Unadkat, Umesh Yadav, Pragyan Ojha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year