Ganguly`s valiant ton goes in vain as Haryana ensure 3 points
Rohtak: Sourav Ganguly brought on all his years of experience but his colleagues didn`t show enough stomach for a fight as Bengal conceded a slender 19-run first innings lead against Haryana in an Elite Group match of the Ranji Trophy at Bansi Lal Stadium on Thursday.
Bengal who were 327 for six at tea lost four wickets for only 12 runs in the post-tea session to get all-out for 339 in reply to Haryana`s first innings score of 358. Haryana scored 42 for one in second essay with an overall lead of 61 runs.
Only few months shy of his 40th birthday, Ganguly, who is now one of the oldest cricketers in India`s domestic circuit, batted for more than four and half hours to score 135 (his 33rd ton in first-class) but got little support from the other end.
One person who would like to forget the match in a hurry is Laxmi Ratan Shukla whose irresponsible shot at a crucial juncture put paid to Bengal`s hopes.
He was the ninth batsman to get out when he tried to clear leggie Yuzvendra Chahal only to be holed out by Abhimanyu Khode at mid-on. It was a sweet revenge for Chahal as Ganguly had lifted him for a straight six over long on apart from hitting 20 boundaries.
Starting the day 113 for two, veteran opener Arindam Das (74) hit a boundary before he was castled by seamer Ashish Hooda. Young Writam Porel (16) nicked one from India colts seamer Harshal Patel to wicket-keeper Nitin Saini.
Wriddhiman joined Ganguly for a 119-run fifth wicket partnership in which the former India captain was the dominant partner. He found the gaps with ease as Wriddhiman played the second fiddle but never looked comfortable in the middle.
Although he has sealed the second wicketkeeper`s berth, Wriddhiman`s batting at first-class level leaves a lot to be desired. His footwork is totally circumspect whenever the ball swings a bit more and that precisely has been the reason he hasn`t singlehandedly won a match for Bengal. He scored a painstaking 33 off 128 balls.
It was the military medium pace of Jitender Billa that was his undoing as he nicked one to Saini behind the stumps.
Laxmi Ratan Shukla (28, 34 balls) played in his customary aggressive manner when he needed to show a bit of discretion in shot making.
Rival captain Amit Mishra (4/58) bowled a googly and Shukla tried an ugly hoick to only see his stumps rattled.
With three out of the four lower order batsmen not capable enough to hang around for reasonable time, Shukla`s poor shot became the turning point as Ganguly perished trying to go for big hits.
The last pair of Ranadeb Bose (5) and Ashok Dinda (1) didn`t survive long as there was mix-up when they tried to take single after a misfield by the second slip fielder.
Brief scores: Haryana 358 & 42/1
Bengal 339 (Sourav Ganguly 135, Arindam Das 74, Amit Mishra 4/58, Yuzvendra Chahal 2/29).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what