Garner sees revival of historic cricketing rivalry between Oz and resurgent Windies
St. Lucia (West Indies): Former West Indies legend Joel Garner has reckoned the three-Test series against Australia could revive the cricketing rivalry between both teams.
Australia have dominated contests against the West Indies in recent years, losing just one of the past 18 Tests between the sides, but fans believe that improving West Indies can challenge Australia in the first Test at the Kensington Oval.
Garner said he was excited about the looming series, which begins in his home island of Barbados.
"Based on what I saw in the one-dayers and the T20s, I, like other West Indians, would encourage the team to keep fighting and battling hard. Over the years the West Indies and Australia have fought some bruising battles right here at the Oval,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Garner, as saying.
"What we`re watching and what we`re seeing from the fellas is that the fighting spirit is coming back and I hope that we have a very good, very successful Test series,” he added.
Garner said he was looking forward to the series beginning at the Kensington Oval, which had hosted some of the more memorable moments between Australia and the West Indies.
"During my time I can remember an innings of high quality from Wayne Phillips. Just after my time we saw a magical match-winning double-century by Gordon Greenidge when he was just a few weeks away from his 40th birthday and in more recent times there was Brian Lara`s 153 not out with his back to wall that won us a Test match,” Garner said.
"Something tells me that we will witness something really good during this Test series in the coming days,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement