Gautam Gambhir scores 31 on county debut for Essex
London: Out of favour opener Gautam Gambhir scored 31 for Essex against Northamptionshire on his county debut here on Wednesday.
The left-hander faced 67 balls and hit five boundaries before being being beaten for pace by right-arm pacer Steven Crook after sharing a 44-run second wicket stand with Greg Smith at the Castle Park Cricket ground at Colchester.
Essex are batting second in this four-day Division II county game after Northamptonshire scored 531 in their first innings after David Sales scored 131 and Stephen Peters scored 101.
Interestingly, all the fove boundaries that Gambhir hit came off Pakistan born paceman Mohammed Azharulla`s bowling.
Gambhir started with hitting back to back boundaries in two separate overs from Azharulla. He repeatedly peppered the off-side cordon but after tea, he suddenly became subdued.
He wasn`t able to get the ball off square and when Crook came in, in his bid to score quickly was bowled by the pacer.
Earlier, while fielding, Gambhir took a couple of catches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr