Gautam Gambhir scores 31 on county debut for Essex
London: Out of favour opener Gautam Gambhir scored 31 for Essex against Northamptionshire on his county debut here on Wednesday.
The left-hander faced 67 balls and hit five boundaries before being being beaten for pace by right-arm pacer Steven Crook after sharing a 44-run second wicket stand with Greg Smith at the Castle Park Cricket ground at Colchester.
Essex are batting second in this four-day Division II county game after Northamptonshire scored 531 in their first innings after David Sales scored 131 and Stephen Peters scored 101.
Interestingly, all the fove boundaries that Gambhir hit came off Pakistan born paceman Mohammed Azharulla`s bowling.
Gambhir started with hitting back to back boundaries in two separate overs from Azharulla. He repeatedly peppered the off-side cordon but after tea, he suddenly became subdued.
He wasn`t able to get the ball off square and when Crook came in, in his bid to score quickly was bowled by the pacer.
Earlier, while fielding, Gambhir took a couple of catches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today