Gavaskar loses cool as fans ‘mob’ him for autographs
Mohali: Fans making a beeline for autographs and photographs outside the commentary box during the third India-Australia Test, left the legendary Sunil Gavaskar fuming after their over-enthusiastic chatter ‘disturbed’ him while on the job.
The incident happened in the afternoon on Monday, at the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium here.
Taking advantage of the lax security in the AC lounge on the third floor of the stadium, some fans mobbed former Australian batsman Matthew Hayden, who like Gavaskar, was doing English commentary for the match.
The fans got autographs and photographs with Hayden.
After this, former Indian batsman Sanjay Manjrekar, who is also a commentator for the match, came out and had to oblige the fans` autograph requests.
The commotion outside miffed Gavaskar, who had earlier come out to attend a phone call.
"Have you come to watch a match here or what? Do you realise that this noise reaching inside is disturbing us," an angry Gavaskar said.
He told the fans to take their seats and not shout outside the commentary box.
A dozen odd Punjab police personnel, who were sitting on empty seats in the lounge, suddenly got alerted while few PCA officials also took note.
A source said, a couple of days back senior batsman Sachin Tendulkar had also been left irritated by some over enthusiastic fans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie