Gayle and Kohli made the difference: Katich
Bangalore: New South Wales captain Simon Katich on Friday if not for Royal Challengers Bangalore batsmen Virat Kohli and Chris Gayle, his side could have won the first Champions League Twenty20 semifinal.
Chasing an imposing 203 for two, Gayle struck an whirlwind 92, while Kolhli played a match-winning unbeaten 84-run knock to power RCB to a six-wicket win over NSW.
"Virat was brilliant, Gayle was awesome. We tried different lengths, different paces, it was a big learning experience for the young bowlers, probably a couple of dropped catches cost us today. Earlier on the ball was holding up a bit," a disappointed Katich said after crashing out of the tournament.
His counterpart Daniel Vettori was of the view that 200 was chaseable on the belter Chinnaswamy stadium wicket.
"Its tough for the bowlers but it must be amazing to watch. Two hundred is a par score here. It was tough to be belted over the park but we managed to get home tonight. He also lauded Gayle and Kohli for their stupendous efforts.”
"They (Gayle and Kohli) are confident enough to back their games but you have still to play exceptionally well. It is pure batsmanship and its enthralling to watch. Some of the bowlers will look forward to not playing here," Vettori said.
Man-of-the-match Kohli said he was contend to play the waiting game as long as Gayle was at the crease and did not go for big hits from the word go.
"I said it happens once in a while, but we have done it again. I went in with a mindset to play myself in, I was not desperate to score but I got the right cricket shots," he said.
"Chris (Gayle) has the ability to give a 25-run over. The other day I made a mistake trying to go for a six off the strike bowler (Shaun Tait). This time I decided to play two dot balls. That (game against South Australia) will still be the best, this can be second-best I think," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?