Gayle`s knock was phenomenal: Adam Gilchrist
Bangalore: Kings XI Punjab skipper Adam Gilchrist doffed his hat on Royal Challengers Bangalore batsman Chris Gayle, describing the West Indian`s brutal match-winning innings of 107 in the Indian Premier League match here as "a phenomenal knock".
"That was a phenomenal knock. The wicket was doing a bit and he did not get bat on ball for 10 balls. Then he took the game away from us. We were shell-shocked actually," Gilchrist said after KXIP lost by 85 runs.
Gayle hit a record nine sixes and 10 fours in his 49-ball knock and Gilchrist said his side were thinking of chasing more than 230 when the West Indian was going great guns.
"It is a small ground, there were a few mishits from Gayle that carried over. We pulled back a little bit. It looked like they would get 230-240, but it was all too much for us," Gilchrist said.
"He (Gayle) came back to take lazy three wickets. He has brought a good change for his team. We play again in two days, have got to try and fire up again," said the Australian great.
RCB captain Daniel Vettori said his side dished out a perfect Twenty20 game with Gayle playing the main role.
"Almost the perfect T20 game. It was amazing to score a hundred (by Gayle) in that fashion. The wicket was not an easy one to bat on," Vettori said.
"The big thing for us was our fielding. If we do that, everything falls in place. Gilchrist`s run-out first ball made it easier for us. Aravind has been a really good find for us," said the New Zealander.
Man of the Match Gayle said he was unpredictable and he can destroy any side on his day.
"Things will happen when I am out there. I am unpredictable and got to try and enjoy the IPL," he said.
"It was difficult wicket, the ball was doing a lot for a couple of overs. It was a good team effort, Virat (Kohli) came in and supported me.
"The key actually is to pick your areas. It is not all about slogging, you have to target particular bowlers. I wanted to bat through the end but it did not happen. AB de Villiers got us past 200," said Gayle who also took three wickets.
Asked about his amusing style of celebration after taking each KXIP wicket, Gayle said, "My celebration is the tuk-tuk train, that is a regular thing for me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- REVEALED: At her witty best, Smriti Irani shares why she worked at McDonald's
- Terminally ill fan watches 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' before passing away
- WATCH: James Faulkner's BRILLIANT hat-trick vs Sri Lanka in 2nd ODI
- Rising snowfall in Antarctic may help offset global sea-level surge
- Differences alone cannot define Sino-India ties: Chinese media