Gayle`s knock was phenomenal: Adam Gilchrist
Bangalore: Kings XI Punjab skipper Adam Gilchrist doffed his hat on Royal Challengers Bangalore batsman Chris Gayle, describing the West Indian`s brutal match-winning innings of 107 in the Indian Premier League match here as "a phenomenal knock".
"That was a phenomenal knock. The wicket was doing a bit and he did not get bat on ball for 10 balls. Then he took the game away from us. We were shell-shocked actually," Gilchrist said after KXIP lost by 85 runs.
Gayle hit a record nine sixes and 10 fours in his 49-ball knock and Gilchrist said his side were thinking of chasing more than 230 when the West Indian was going great guns.
"It is a small ground, there were a few mishits from Gayle that carried over. We pulled back a little bit. It looked like they would get 230-240, but it was all too much for us," Gilchrist said.
"He (Gayle) came back to take lazy three wickets. He has brought a good change for his team. We play again in two days, have got to try and fire up again," said the Australian great.
RCB captain Daniel Vettori said his side dished out a perfect Twenty20 game with Gayle playing the main role.
"Almost the perfect T20 game. It was amazing to score a hundred (by Gayle) in that fashion. The wicket was not an easy one to bat on," Vettori said.
"The big thing for us was our fielding. If we do that, everything falls in place. Gilchrist`s run-out first ball made it easier for us. Aravind has been a really good find for us," said the New Zealander.
Man of the Match Gayle said he was unpredictable and he can destroy any side on his day.
"Things will happen when I am out there. I am unpredictable and got to try and enjoy the IPL," he said.
"It was difficult wicket, the ball was doing a lot for a couple of overs. It was a good team effort, Virat (Kohli) came in and supported me.
"The key actually is to pick your areas. It is not all about slogging, you have to target particular bowlers. I wanted to bat through the end but it did not happen. AB de Villiers got us past 200," said Gayle who also took three wickets.
Asked about his amusing style of celebration after taking each KXIP wicket, Gayle said, "My celebration is the tuk-tuk train, that is a regular thing for me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you