Gibson says Narine will be future `match-winner` in Tests
Bridgetown: Wily off-spinner Sunil Narine has been labelled as a "fast learner" and a "match-winner" and is expected to be one of the West Indies` trump cards on the Bangladesh tour this month.
Narine`s entry to Test cricket against England earlier this year was a tame one but head coach Ottis Gibson said since then, the 24-year-old Trinidadian had improved tremendously to adapt to the more stringent demands of Test cricket, reports CMC.
"He`s a very fast learner. When he played his first Test match, it was on the back of very limited first class cricket. He made his name in one-day and T20 cricket," Gibson told a media conference here.
"Bowling in one-day and T20 cricket is very different to bowling in Test match cricket and he had to learn how to bowl in this format, how to try and get wickets.
"England, obviously, was an alien environment for him. He wasn`t at his most comfortable. When we came back to the Caribbean we saw the real Narine.
"Wickets in Bangladesh will suit him, they will be some assistance there for him. When the ball is spinning he`s at his best and you saw in the series against New Zealand he started to go around the wicket which again against shows (he`s) learning."
Narine made an unflattering debut in the game`s longest version, going wicket-less in the rain-ravaged third Test in Birmingham back in June.
The right-armer returned to the Caribbean and instantly reaped success against New Zealand, picking up 12 wickets in two Tests and another 13 in the five-match one-day series.
Gibson said he expected Narine`s improvement to continue, especially in Tests.
"We expect him to be a handful for us. He`s a match winner, certainly in the shorter format so far and we believe he will be a match winner in the longer format as well," Gibson noted.
The Windies will play two Tests, five One-Day Internationals and a single Twenty20 against Bangladesh, from Nov 8 to Dec 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!