Gilchrist backs ‘beleaguered’ Wade after series of gaffes
Sydney: Former Australia wicket keeper Adam Gilchrist has come out in support of Mathew Wade, who is facing calls to be axed from the Test side for his predecessor Brad Haddin following his second stumping gaffe in three Tests
Gilchrist has said the rising glove man has the attitude and work ethic to become a long-term proposition in the baggy green.
The 25-year-old`s proficiency behind the stumps again came under the microscope during the first Test against Sri Lanka when he missed a regulation stumping off Nathan Lyon to dismiss tail ender Nuwan Kulasekara in the tourist`s first innings.
It came just a month after Wade failed to finish off South African skipper Graeme Smith, who made the wicketkeeper pay a heavy price by going on to blast 122 in the second Test in Adelaide.
While Wade has made the odd blunder with the gloves, he has impressed Australian hierarchy with his competitive instincts and attitude towards batting.
After seven Tests, Wade has 398 runs at 39.80, including two fifties and a match-winning 106 against the West Indies in just his third Test.
“The little bits I`ve seen of Matt Wade, he seems to have made a decent impression in the team,” News.com.au quoted Gilchrist, as saying.
“He is well regarded among the group and the selectors and I remember the first 10 to 15 Tests I played, you try and achieve perfection every day and after 96 Tests I never achieved that,” he added.
Gilchrist added: “I`m sure Matt is more disappointed than anyone else at the missed opportunities he has had so far this summer but if you play at a high level these things occur.”
“If you stay around long enough you end up showing people you get them more than you miss them and he would be working towards that. He has some nice fighting qualities.
He shows all the great qualities to be successful, the challenge for him is to do the hard work and he`s got an appetite for it,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’