Gilchrist backs Wade to become Australia’s next ‘Iron Glove’
Sydney: Former Australia wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist has advised Mathew Wade to not get unduly hard on himself after making two costly errors in South Africa`s first and second innings during the Adelaide Test, and added that the young glove man should be given time to learn from his mistakes.
Wade was livid with his second Test display but Gilchrist rebooted the six-Test custodian this week in Perth, arguing the keeper`s self-flagellation wasn`t warranted.
“I had a really good chat with him at Aussie training. He was disappointed and I think being unduly hard on himself about the game he had,” News.com.au quoted Gilchrist, as saying.
“I think that is a huge step-up in class, when you get to international cricket and everything that encompasses,” he added.
Even national selector and former Test keeper Rod Marsh was called ‘Iron Glove’ after missing chances early in his 96-Test career.
“Everyone can rest assured Matthew is taking on board any experience he has got to try and improve and he will do exactly that,” Gilchrist said.
“He is learning, the more you play at higher level the better you will get,” he added.
Gilchrist said Wade should be applauded for standing up to the stumps to the Australian pace men despite the missed catch off Ben Hilfenhaus that allowed du Plessis to survive another 99 balls, post a ton and secure a remarkable second Test draw for the South Africans.
“Don`t bag him for being up at the stumps, that is part of a tactical game where you are looking for anything that might put a batsman off. On the last day that catch off du Plessis was a 50-50 at best, either in or out,” Gilchrist said.
Wade also fumbled a stumping off Smith on 46 before he posted his 122 in 244 balls in Adelaide, but Gilchrist said Wade would flourish in coming years.
Gilchrist added: “I would suggest we don``t be too hard him,”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE