Gilchrist backs Wade to become Australia’s next ‘Iron Glove’
Sydney: Former Australia wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist has advised Mathew Wade to not get unduly hard on himself after making two costly errors in South Africa`s first and second innings during the Adelaide Test, and added that the young glove man should be given time to learn from his mistakes.
Wade was livid with his second Test display but Gilchrist rebooted the six-Test custodian this week in Perth, arguing the keeper`s self-flagellation wasn`t warranted.
“I had a really good chat with him at Aussie training. He was disappointed and I think being unduly hard on himself about the game he had,” News.com.au quoted Gilchrist, as saying.
“I think that is a huge step-up in class, when you get to international cricket and everything that encompasses,” he added.
Even national selector and former Test keeper Rod Marsh was called ‘Iron Glove’ after missing chances early in his 96-Test career.
“Everyone can rest assured Matthew is taking on board any experience he has got to try and improve and he will do exactly that,” Gilchrist said.
“He is learning, the more you play at higher level the better you will get,” he added.
Gilchrist said Wade should be applauded for standing up to the stumps to the Australian pace men despite the missed catch off Ben Hilfenhaus that allowed du Plessis to survive another 99 balls, post a ton and secure a remarkable second Test draw for the South Africans.
“Don`t bag him for being up at the stumps, that is part of a tactical game where you are looking for anything that might put a batsman off. On the last day that catch off du Plessis was a 50-50 at best, either in or out,” Gilchrist said.
Wade also fumbled a stumping off Smith on 46 before he posted his 122 in 244 balls in Adelaide, but Gilchrist said Wade would flourish in coming years.
Gilchrist added: “I would suggest we don``t be too hard him,”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears