Giles put Tremlett on `red alert` for Champions Trophy in case `injured` Broad, Finn fail fitness
London: England`s ODI coach Ashley Giles has selected Surrey pace bowler Chris Tremlett as back-up in the ICC Champions Trophy squad for injured bowlers Stuart Broad and Steven Finn, should they fail their fitness tests and have to pull out.
Without Broad and Finn, England`s bowling attack had looked toothless and run-of-the-mill up against New Zealand in the two warm-up games, something that Tremlett could fix after taking eight wickets in his last match.
Although Irish bowler Boyd Rankin is already with the one day squad in Nottingham, but calls have been made to Surrey and Tremlett to see whether he would be able to step up to the mark if needed.
Meanwhile, Giles is hoping that his injury-hit squad can still go one better than he did in 2004 when England were denied Champions Trophy glory in the final against the West Indies.
Although Giles agreed that England has a good chance of losing their 50-over curse in view of the strong one-day performances at home prior to the current Natwest series, however he admitted that it would be a tough task because of the eight strong teams in the tournament.
Stating that England will have an advantage at home, however, Giles said that the advantage may soon disappear if they do no play decent cricket, adding that in any tournament, a team needs a fair wind to blow their way.
Giles further said that he would like England to have success in the last edition of the eight-nation tournament, adding that he had played in the last Champions Trophy and knows what it was like to lose a final.
The first Champions Trophy match will be between India and South Africa on June 6 at Cardiff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir