Gillespie backs ‘understudy’ Starc for longer stint in Australia Test team
Sydney: Former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie has backed his protégé Mitchell Starc to be selected for the second Test match against South Africa in Adelaide, and stressed on the need to give the giant left-armer a longer run in the team.
Gillespie said Starc and off-spinner Nathan Lyon could prove Australia`s second Test trump cards at Adelaide.
Gillespie, who fine-tuned Starc while coaching Yorkshire this northern summer, added the 22-year-old offers a point of difference for skipper Michael Clarke.
“I like his professionalism, the way he goes about it, his skill, bringing the ball back in to the right-hander,” News.com.au quoted Gillespie, as saying.
“If they play Starc he can create that rough for Lyon in Adelaide. I think Nathan will give Australia a strong chance of victory, he becomes very important there,” he added.
“Starcy has a lot going for him, is an absolute athlete. We had a simple game plan at Yorkshire which he could nail well batsmen couldn`t do much with him. He got a lot of confidence out of that simplicity. Bowl fast and get the wrist action right,” he said.
Gillespie argued that maturing Starc needs to be fast tracked at Test level with limited overs tournaments offering little developmental value.
“I think he is ready to have a good long stint in the baggy green now, served an apprenticeship,” Gillespie said.
“You talk about work load management but you can leave guys out of one-day and Twenty20 cricket,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town