Gillespie backs ‘understudy’ Starc for longer stint in Australia Test team
Sydney: Former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie has backed his protégé Mitchell Starc to be selected for the second Test match against South Africa in Adelaide, and stressed on the need to give the giant left-armer a longer run in the team.
Gillespie said Starc and off-spinner Nathan Lyon could prove Australia`s second Test trump cards at Adelaide.
Gillespie, who fine-tuned Starc while coaching Yorkshire this northern summer, added the 22-year-old offers a point of difference for skipper Michael Clarke.
“I like his professionalism, the way he goes about it, his skill, bringing the ball back in to the right-hander,” News.com.au quoted Gillespie, as saying.
“If they play Starc he can create that rough for Lyon in Adelaide. I think Nathan will give Australia a strong chance of victory, he becomes very important there,” he added.
“Starcy has a lot going for him, is an absolute athlete. We had a simple game plan at Yorkshire which he could nail well batsmen couldn`t do much with him. He got a lot of confidence out of that simplicity. Bowl fast and get the wrist action right,” he said.
Gillespie argued that maturing Starc needs to be fast tracked at Test level with limited overs tournaments offering little developmental value.
“I think he is ready to have a good long stint in the baggy green now, served an apprenticeship,” Gillespie said.
“You talk about work load management but you can leave guys out of one-day and Twenty20 cricket,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan