Gillespie backs ‘understudy’ Starc for longer stint in Australia Test team
Sydney: Former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie has backed his protégé Mitchell Starc to be selected for the second Test match against South Africa in Adelaide, and stressed on the need to give the giant left-armer a longer run in the team.
Gillespie said Starc and off-spinner Nathan Lyon could prove Australia`s second Test trump cards at Adelaide.
Gillespie, who fine-tuned Starc while coaching Yorkshire this northern summer, added the 22-year-old offers a point of difference for skipper Michael Clarke.
“I like his professionalism, the way he goes about it, his skill, bringing the ball back in to the right-hander,” News.com.au quoted Gillespie, as saying.
“If they play Starc he can create that rough for Lyon in Adelaide. I think Nathan will give Australia a strong chance of victory, he becomes very important there,” he added.
“Starcy has a lot going for him, is an absolute athlete. We had a simple game plan at Yorkshire which he could nail well batsmen couldn`t do much with him. He got a lot of confidence out of that simplicity. Bowl fast and get the wrist action right,” he said.
Gillespie argued that maturing Starc needs to be fast tracked at Test level with limited overs tournaments offering little developmental value.
“I think he is ready to have a good long stint in the baggy green now, served an apprenticeship,” Gillespie said.
“You talk about work load management but you can leave guys out of one-day and Twenty20 cricket,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried