Gillespie, Guptill recalled to Kiwi Test squad for England series
Wellington: New Zealand pace bowler Mark Gillespie and batsman Martin Guptill have been recalled into the Test squad for the re-match with England.
Gillespie and Guptill along with newcomer Luke Ronchi are the three new faces named in the squad which will clash in tests at Lord`s in London and Headingley in Leeds after fighting an encouraging drawn series with England over three tests in New Zealand recently.
Black Caps coach Mike Hesson expressed his pleasure at the inclusion of Guptill and Gillespie in the squad, saying that it was pleasing to see Guptill return from injury after being forced out of the home tests against England and added that Gillespie`s form had warranted his reselection.
Stating that Guptill has proved himself to be a world-class performer before, Hesson said that the batsman has worked hard on his rehabilitation to make sure that he is fit to represent his country again. Hesson further said that Gillespie also deserved his spot as he has been dominant in the domestic competitions this season, adding that he is a capable player as he is quite experienced with the international game also.
The tour starts on May 4 with a three-day warm-up match against Derbyshire, which will be missed by Brendon McCullum and Ross Taylor because of Indian Premier League commitments, although the players will join the team in time for the second warm-up fixture, against the England Lions on May 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees