Gilly, S`kara to appeal for cricket in Olympics
Melbourne, Sept 09: Retired Australian Adam Gilchrist and Sri Lankan vice-captain Kumar Sangakkara will make video presentations on Wednesday before the International Cricket Council, seeking cricket`s inclusion in the Olympic Games.
According to `The Australian`, globalisation of cricket would be on the agenda when chief executives of 10 Test playing nations attend the ICC meeting in Dubai on Wednesday where Gilchrist and Sangakkara would make a fervent appeal for the game`s inclusion in the biggest sporting extravaganza.
Gilchrist, who first advocated cricket`s inclusion in Olympics in a newspaper column, is likely to share the feedback he received from fellow players.
"The response to my newspaper article has been quite phenomenal, particularly from players," the video presentation has Gilchrist as saying.
"We have the perfect product for the Olympic movement and being part of the Olympic movement will allow us to target over 200 countries around the world," he said.
In case Gilchrist and Sangakkara manage to convince the chief executives, it might see the ICC executive board approaching the International Olympic Committee for cricket`s inclusion for the 2020 Olympics.
Sangakkara will also wax eloquent on how cricket`s inclusion in Olympics would open the IOC door for almost a quarter of the world population, including the sub-continent.
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland and his Irish counterpart Warren Deutrom will support the push, which enjoys the backing of players including Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh, Graeme Smith, Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan, Sourav Ganguly and Stephen Fleming.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!