God has listened to my prayers: Pathan
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Back in the national team after a gap of two years, left-arm pacer Irfan Pathan has expressed his happiness over the selection and has thanked god for listening to his prayers.
“I have got an opportunity to play for India after two years. God listened to my prayers and I am very happy with the selection. It’s a great honour”, Pathan said on Tuesday.
He thanked former MRF coach TA Sekhar for his support.
"TA Sekhar's inputs have proved to be beneficial for a lot of pacers across the country and I am one of them who has immensely benefitted from his technical inputs. He discussed a few corrective measures regarding my wrist position which has helped me get my swing back. The hard work is certainly paying off," he said.
Pathan also thanked BCCI and National Cricket Academy for his rehabilitation program.
"I always wanted to make a comeback when I am more than 100 percent fit. I didn't want to rush my comeback. My stint at the NCA was really helpful. Thanks to BCCI, for sending me abroad, for my injury treatment."
Pathan had an excellent outing in the Ranji matches where he took three five-wicket hauls in as many matches. His performance with the ball drew selectors’ attention and as a result he was chosen to replace Umesh Yadav for the remaining two ODIs against West Indies.
The BCCI`s All-India Senior Selection Committee which met on Monday took this decision as pacer Yadav will be leaving for Australia early.
Pathan, 27, made his debut for India against Australia when he was 19 but has been out of contention for the national team due to his inconsistent performances with the ball. His last appearance in an ODI was in 2009 against Sri Lanka at Colombo.
Pathan has played 107 ODIs for India and has taken 152 wickets at an average of 29.9.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued