God has listened to my prayers: Pathan
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Back in the national team after a gap of two years, left-arm pacer Irfan Pathan has expressed his happiness over the selection and has thanked god for listening to his prayers.
“I have got an opportunity to play for India after two years. God listened to my prayers and I am very happy with the selection. It’s a great honour”, Pathan said on Tuesday.
He thanked former MRF coach TA Sekhar for his support.
"TA Sekhar's inputs have proved to be beneficial for a lot of pacers across the country and I am one of them who has immensely benefitted from his technical inputs. He discussed a few corrective measures regarding my wrist position which has helped me get my swing back. The hard work is certainly paying off," he said.
Pathan also thanked BCCI and National Cricket Academy for his rehabilitation program.
"I always wanted to make a comeback when I am more than 100 percent fit. I didn't want to rush my comeback. My stint at the NCA was really helpful. Thanks to BCCI, for sending me abroad, for my injury treatment."
Pathan had an excellent outing in the Ranji matches where he took three five-wicket hauls in as many matches. His performance with the ball drew selectors’ attention and as a result he was chosen to replace Umesh Yadav for the remaining two ODIs against West Indies.
The BCCI`s All-India Senior Selection Committee which met on Monday took this decision as pacer Yadav will be leaving for Australia early.
Pathan, 27, made his debut for India against Australia when he was 19 but has been out of contention for the national team due to his inconsistent performances with the ball. His last appearance in an ODI was in 2009 against Sri Lanka at Colombo.
Pathan has played 107 ODIs for India and has taken 152 wickets at an average of 29.9.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers