Good problem for Aus selectors ahead of Perth Test: Jason Gillespie
Perth: Australian selectors might be toiling hard to decide whether to include off-spinner Nathan Lyon at the pace-friendly WACA track or not but former pacer Jason Gillespie feels it is a good problem for the new selection panel ahead of the third Test against India.
"Australia will be tempted to play four seamers in Perth. It will be a close call on Nathan. I usually like to see a spinner in the XI. Spinners get wickets with drift and bounce in Perth and Lyon would use the breeze well and get good bounce using flight and his height," Gillespie was quoted as saying by `Daily Telegraph`.
"You have Ryan Harris, Mitchell Starc with the left arm variation who hasn`t done a lot wrong in his two Test matches, Siddle and Hilfenhaus. It is a really good problem to have for the selectors," he added.
Cricket Australia`s new selection and rotation policy goes against the grain for Gillespie`s former Test teammate Andy Bichel who is on a panel, including Rod Marsh, John Inverarity, skipper Michael Clarke and coach Mickey Arthur.
Gillespie said it will be interesting to see what role Bichel plays as he too was one of the victims of rotations.
"I know Rod Marsh has been around for a long time but it is a good test for someone like Andy Bichel who brings that bowler`s perspective," said Gillespie of Bichel, who took 58 wickets in 19 Tests between 1997 and 2003.
"I think it is going to be an important role with all these rotations. It will be interesting as Bich was one of the big victims of rotations.
"He would get a Test and if Brett Lee, myself or Michael Kasprowicz would come back from injury he would be jettisoned. I can`t imagine he would be a favourite of rotation," he said.
Gillespie said the Indian batsmen surrendering to Australian pace battery has made an all-out pace attack a viable option in the third Test.
"As we have seen with the Indians they are not coping with pace and Australia might just think `let`s go hard at them!" said Gillespie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe