Good problem for Aus selectors ahead of Perth Test: Jason Gillespie
Perth: Australian selectors might be toiling hard to decide whether to include off-spinner Nathan Lyon at the pace-friendly WACA track or not but former pacer Jason Gillespie feels it is a good problem for the new selection panel ahead of the third Test against India.
"Australia will be tempted to play four seamers in Perth. It will be a close call on Nathan. I usually like to see a spinner in the XI. Spinners get wickets with drift and bounce in Perth and Lyon would use the breeze well and get good bounce using flight and his height," Gillespie was quoted as saying by `Daily Telegraph`.
"You have Ryan Harris, Mitchell Starc with the left arm variation who hasn`t done a lot wrong in his two Test matches, Siddle and Hilfenhaus. It is a really good problem to have for the selectors," he added.
Cricket Australia`s new selection and rotation policy goes against the grain for Gillespie`s former Test teammate Andy Bichel who is on a panel, including Rod Marsh, John Inverarity, skipper Michael Clarke and coach Mickey Arthur.
Gillespie said it will be interesting to see what role Bichel plays as he too was one of the victims of rotations.
"I know Rod Marsh has been around for a long time but it is a good test for someone like Andy Bichel who brings that bowler`s perspective," said Gillespie of Bichel, who took 58 wickets in 19 Tests between 1997 and 2003.
"I think it is going to be an important role with all these rotations. It will be interesting as Bich was one of the big victims of rotations.
"He would get a Test and if Brett Lee, myself or Michael Kasprowicz would come back from injury he would be jettisoned. I can`t imagine he would be a favourite of rotation," he said.
Gillespie said the Indian batsmen surrendering to Australian pace battery has made an all-out pace attack a viable option in the third Test.
"As we have seen with the Indians they are not coping with pace and Australia might just think `let`s go hard at them!" said Gillespie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan