Government authorities underestimated my security concerns: Lalit Modi
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Former Indian Premier League commissioner Lalit Modi has alleged that the Enforcement Directorate underestimated his security concerns and the government misrepresented facts to manipulate information regarding his motives to leave India.
In a statement published on his official website, Modi claims to have in possession various communiqués, that he got accessed to through RTI, which prove that his decision to leave the country was based on genuine threats to his life and the failure of government to provide the same.
“I present further evidence regarding the attempts by certain sections of the Indian government to besmirch my reputation with mis-information and a suppression of the facts,” Modi said in a statement on his official website.
Modi has been accused of financial irregularities during his tenure as the IPL commissioner and he is evading probe that has forced the Indian government to enforce his return to the country.
“On 25th April, 2010, the third season of the IPL finished against the backdrop of the political events surrounding Mr. Tharoor’s resignation. I was suspended by the BCCI as Chairman of the IPL and the following day, 26th April, 2010, the BCCI issued a Show Cause Notice to me asking me to respond to a range of charges about my conduct whilst I was Chairman of the IPL.”
“On 11th May, 2010 there was a sudden reduction in the level of protection provided to me by the Mumbai Police, with all armed police being withdrawn. I was not given any warning or any reasons for this action.”
“With no armed protection in India, but no reduction in the ongoing level of threats, which the security forces knew were still active, I had no option but to leave India. I left India on 14th May, 2010 and travelled to London,” the statement read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared