Govt clears India-Pak limited-over series
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Tuesday cleared Pakistan cricket team's tour of India for a limited-over series beginning December 25 and said that the government will provide foolproof security to the visiting team.
This was conveyed when a delegation of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) met Union Home Secretary R K Singh here today, official sources said.
BCCI senior official and Union Minister Rajiv Shukla said that the Board delegation discussed with the Home Secretary about security and logistical issues.
"We have discussed all security aspects. The tour is on," he told reporters here.
Apart from the security issues, the Home Ministry also gives visa clearance to Pakistani spectators. Several top Pakistani dignitaries are expected to visit India to watch the cricket matches.
The series would comprise three ODIs and two Twenty20 Internationals between December 2012 and January 2013. The ODI matches are likely to be played in Chennai, Kolkata and New Delhi and the Twenty20 games in Bangalore and Ahmedabad.
In July, the BCCI had decided to resume cricketing ties with Pakistan by inviting the neighbouring country for a short series in December 2012-January 2013, to be sandwiched between the Test and ODI legs of the England team's tour of India.
The arch-rivals have not played a bilateral series since Pakistan's tour of India in 2007 after cricket ties were snapped following the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his then Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani had watched the high-profile World Cup semi-final in Mohali last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Nearly half of all heart attacks may be 'silent'
- Seven crucial points new BCCI president Anurag Thakur raised during maiden press conference
- MUST WATCH VIDEO: 84* off 18 balls - You wont believe who is batting....
- Brace yourself, Eid is coming! New still from Salman Khan's 'Sultan' will gear you up for trailer launch
- 'India's net FDI flows to hit USD 38 billion this fiscal'