Govt to seek AG`s opinion on spot-fixing issue
New Delhi: Following the shocking arrests of three IPL players on charges of spot-fixing, the government on Tuesday said that it will seek the Attorney General`s opinion on whether there can be a national legislation to deal with such unfair practices.
"At the moment what we are trying to do is to reflect on whether there can be a national legislation on this because sports under entry 33 of list two is a state subject. Betting and gambling under entry 35 of list two is also a state subject," Law Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters here.
"Prima facie we believe this is neither betting nor gambling. It is in fact an activity or unfair practice that changes the outcome of the game. But these issues are complex and legal in nature. We have decided to put up the case for opinion to the Attorney General of India," he added.
The minister said that currently, Attorney General G E Vahanvati was travelling abroad and as soon as he returns he would be requested to look into the spot fixing issue.
"If he clears and opines that a national legislation can be drafted then of course we will do that and then request the sports ministry to take it forward so that they can take it to the Cabinet and the Parliament. In the meantime I will be talking to the sports minister on the issue," Sibal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!