Govt wants implementation of Nicholson report recommendations
Johannesburg: The writing appears to be on the wall for embattled Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Gerald Majola after Sport Minister Fikile Mbalula today called on the Board to act decisively in implementing all the recommendations of the Nicholson inquiry into the financial affairs of CSA.
"We stand by its findings and expect the full recommendations of the Nicholson report to be implemented," Mbalula said at a media briefing, threatening that if CSA did not do so, government would show it how to do so.
"The board of Cricket South Africa, if it has any moral compass, and understands its fiduciary duties, must in its meeting tomorrow do the right thing," Mbalula said.
Calling for the CSA board meeting tomorrow to do some serious introspection, Mbalula also questioned whether it was not time for the entire CSA board to step down.
"Is it not time for the board to make way for a new leadership that will take Cricket South Africa to a new era of hope and clean governance?."
The inquiry headed by retired judge Chris Nicholson made damning findings in its report last Friday, calling for Majola’s suspension pending a disciplinary hearing and a probe into possible criminal charges by the National Prosecuting Authority of his breach of fiduciary duties in terms of the Companies Act.
The minister instituted the inquiry following two years of wrangling which saw the president of CSA Mtutuzeli Nyoka ousted in absentia twice after he challenged huge IPL 2 bonuses that Majola had paid to himself and other senior CSA staff without informing the CSA board.
IPL 2 was played in South Africa due to security concerns around elections at the time in India.
Mbalula said his ministry could not ignore what has been happening at CSA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'