Panaji: The second edition of the Goa Premier League, which commences on Friday, will be played without outstation players after the BCCI issued a statement on Thursday that they do not recognise the event as the Goa Cricket Association itself claimed that it had not given the tournament recognition.
This has upset the calculations of the GPL franchisees who were depending on their outstations players to win matches for them and had no problem in fielding them last year.
However, when it came to the board’s notice that outstation players would be participating in the GPL for the second successive year without getting an NOC from their respective states, it shot off a letter to the GCA questioning their authority on allowing the franchisees to break the rules laid down by it.
GCA secretary Prasad Phaterphekar replied to the BCCI stating that it did not recognise the GPL.
But Ratnakar Shetty, BCCI’s chief administrative officer said, “How can the GCA break rules? Karnataka and Maharashtra too have their own cricket premier Leagues but with franchisees hiring only local state players. We had instructed the GCA last season itself but it has come to our notice that they have ignored our warning.”
When contacted, GCA president Dayanand Narvekar said the mail sent by Phaterphekar had “typographical error”. “We will rectify the problem in the next few days. I had a meeting with the six franchisees yesterday evening. They were warned last year that the outstation players they sign will have to get an NOC from their respective state association.
“Somehow, they have failed to obtain it even after giving them time till December 10 and another five days extension,” said Narvekar adding, now they will be forced to play without their outstation players.
However, it is still not known why the GCA secretary shot off a letter to the BCCI when the tournament has been conducted by the GCA itself.
It is the GCA that conceptualised and launched the GPL in 2009.
Coach of Dempo Sports club, Prashant Kakode, suggested that the tournament should be kept on hold until the whole mess is cleared.
“The GPL tournament should be kept on hold. There is a lot of confusion. The organisers should be blamed as they did not inform us about the BCCI rule. We don’t have any NOC from the outstation players. We are playing today with only nine players in our kitty. How will we manage to field the players,” said Kakode.
Salgaocar club secretary, Prabjyot Sandhu said, “This is a blunder. We should have been made aware of the rule by GCA. Last year we played with outstation players...We have spent lots on the players and at the last minute it is very difficult to make a team.
“We are fully dependent on our outstation players. Our bowling department has been shattered. It is very difficult to get an NOC as this tournament is not recognised by the BCCI. Our dream of winning the title is shattered for the second successive time.”
Owner of Sarvodaya Sporting, Vilas Desai, however, said that all teams knew about this rule.
“Narvekar had already informed all the clubs about this rule. He also told us that corporate players can play but other state players cannot play as they are registered with the other association. But we did not take it seriously. Our outstation players have no NOC so the question of playing does not arise. We will play with the local players,” he said.