Graeme Smith and Jacques Kallis declared fit to play tour match ahead of crucial Lord’s Test
London: South Africa skipper Graeme Smith and Jacques Kallis have fully recovered from the injuries they sustained during the second Test against England at Headingley, while Alviro Petersen and Albie Morkel continue to make positive strides towards full fitness before the Lord’s Test.
Proteas doctor and team manager Mohammed Moosajee has said that Smith and Kallis would be available for the two-day tour match against Derbyshire County Cricket Club starting Friday, while Morkel could bat, but not bowl.
Petersen would be sitting out during the warm-up game.
“Graeme has fully recovered from the minor ligament sprain to his left knee. We also have positive feedback from Jacques, who has responded well to treatment following the acute back spasms that he suffered during the Test,” Moosajee said.
“Alviro is progressing well with rehab after the Grade 1 hamstring strain he sustained at Headingley but he is unlikely to feature in the tour match against Derbyshire.
“He will be focusing on his rehabilitation with the aim of making sure he is fully fit for the final Test at Lords.”
Moosajee said team physiotherapist Brandon Jackson would be working on getting Morkel back to full bowling fitness during the coming week, Sport24 reports.
“Albie``s left ankle has responded well to the cortisone injection he received last week. He will be available to play in the tour match, but he will only feature as a batsman,” he said.
The final Test at Lord’s starts next Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter