Graeme Smith in contention for Pakistan series despite ankle surgery
Johannesburg: South African Test captain Graeme Smith is reportedly in contention for the squad to tour the United Arab Emirates in October for a two-Test series against Pakistan, despite his ankle surgery.
According to Sport24, the left-handed batsman had his talus bone of his often troublesome left ankle operated in mid-May, after cutting short his intended first season as captain of county team Surrey skipper in England.
The report said that the healing period is generally considered to be between four and six months and by the time South Africa starts the first Test at Abu Dhabi on October 14, Smith will have had around five months since going under the knife
However, South Africa national team manager Dr Mohammed Moosajee assured that Smith is still in consideration for the tour as his rehabilitation is on track and he is doing running and fitness drills diligently, adding that Smith has been thoroughly assessed since his ankle surgery.
Moosajee also said that South Africa would play a three-day warm-up game in the UAE ahead of the series, which may be Smith`s chance to get into suitable form for the tour given that he has not played a competitive match since May, although Moosajee added that Smith is experienced enough to know how to prepare despite his long-time absence.
Meanwhile, Smith also tweeted his confidence to getting back on the crease and playing again, saying that it felt good to run again as it has been four months since he last ran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM