Graeme Smith proud of Proteas team
Johannesburg: South Africa captain Graeme Smith has said he is feeling proud after receiving the prestigious ICC Test Championship mace and prize money of four million rands on behalf of the entire team and the nation.
Smith said they all appreciate the enormous privilege of representing our country and taking on the responsibility that goes with it.
The mace is presented to the team that tops the ICC Test Championship on the April 1 cut-off date and for the first time since the current ranking system was introduced in 2003, South Africa finished as the No 1-ranked Test side.
Smith said South Africa has all the reasons to be proud of its feat, as it is only the fourth team after Australia, India, and England to hold the mace.
South Africa claimed the mace from the then No 1 side England in the last English summer and successfully retained it by winning all five Tests at home against New Zealand (2-0) and Pakistan (3-0).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet