Graeme Smith receives ICC Test Championship mace
Dubai: South Africa captain Graeme Smith on Thursday received the ICC Test Championship mace and prize money of USD 450,000 for leading the team to the top spot in ICC Test rankings on the annual cut-off date of April 1.
Smith received the mace from the ICC`s umpires and referees manager, Vince van der Bijl, in a ceremony at the Wanderers in Johannesburg.
"I am truly honoured and humbled to receive the Reliance ICC Test Championship mace and prize money, not just on behalf of myself, the players and the team management but on behalf of all South Africans," said Smith.
"We all appreciate the enormous privilege of representing our country and taking on the responsibility that goes with it," he added.
South Africa have finished at the number one spot for the first time since the current ranking system was introduced in 2003.
India are placed third behind England in the current rankings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city