Graeme Smith receives ICC Test Championship mace
Dubai: South Africa captain Graeme Smith on Thursday received the ICC Test Championship mace and prize money of USD 450,000 for leading the team to the top spot in ICC Test rankings on the annual cut-off date of April 1.
Smith received the mace from the ICC`s umpires and referees manager, Vince van der Bijl, in a ceremony at the Wanderers in Johannesburg.
"I am truly honoured and humbled to receive the Reliance ICC Test Championship mace and prize money, not just on behalf of myself, the players and the team management but on behalf of all South Africans," said Smith.
"We all appreciate the enormous privilege of representing our country and taking on the responsibility that goes with it," he added.
South Africa have finished at the number one spot for the first time since the current ranking system was introduced in 2003.
India are placed third behind England in the current rankings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof