Graeme Smith recovering well from ankle surgery
Johannesburg: South African Test captain Graeme Smith is recovering well after undergoing surgery on his left ankle three weeks ago.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) said in a statement that its medical team was satisfied with Smith`s progress and hoped that the batsman might be fit for the tour to England in July.
"Graeme has responded well to the surgery on his ankle and started with his rehabilitation programme this week. His rehabilitation will start off very lightly with the physiotherapist in Cape Town, and will become more rigorous as the weeks progress before he can start with cricket specific training towards the end of May," Proteas` team manager Mohammed Moosajee wa quoted as saying by SAPA.
"We are very pleased with the progress he is making and at this stage he is on target to be fit for the tour to England," he said.
Smith said he was glad to be recovering well.
"It was slightly frustrating for me after the surgery because I had to move around in a cast, so it`s good to be back on both feet again. The ankle is still a bit painful but I`m working hard with the physio and hopefully I will be holding a cricket bat soon," Smith said.
"The tour to England is an important one for the Proteas and I`m confident that I will be 100 percent fit and able to lead the team by then," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm