Graeme Smith recovering well from ankle surgery
Johannesburg: South African Test captain Graeme Smith is recovering well after undergoing surgery on his left ankle three weeks ago.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) said in a statement that its medical team was satisfied with Smith`s progress and hoped that the batsman might be fit for the tour to England in July.
"Graeme has responded well to the surgery on his ankle and started with his rehabilitation programme this week. His rehabilitation will start off very lightly with the physiotherapist in Cape Town, and will become more rigorous as the weeks progress before he can start with cricket specific training towards the end of May," Proteas` team manager Mohammed Moosajee wa quoted as saying by SAPA.
"We are very pleased with the progress he is making and at this stage he is on target to be fit for the tour to England," he said.
Smith said he was glad to be recovering well.
"It was slightly frustrating for me after the surgery because I had to move around in a cast, so it`s good to be back on both feet again. The ankle is still a bit painful but I`m working hard with the physio and hopefully I will be holding a cricket bat soon," Smith said.
"The tour to England is an important one for the Proteas and I`m confident that I will be 100 percent fit and able to lead the team by then," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know