Graeme Swann to carry on as England Twenty20 captain
London: Spinner Graeme Swann is likely to stay on as England`s Twenty20 skipper since regular captain Stuart Broad has been advised two months` rest to recover from the shoulder injury he sustained during a One-Day International against India at Lord`s last month.
Broad thought he might make the grade in time for the Twenty20 match at Eden Gardens in Kolkata slated for October 29, but he learnt Friday that it was unlikely he would play cricket again before 2012.
Broad will not captain England again until the end of February when they play three Twenty20 matches against Pakistan in Dubai. By then Swann will have led England three times in Twenty20 cricket, one more match than Broad has managed since he was appointed full-time in May.
"The shoulder is still quite sore. It`s a two-month injury so I`m concentrating on making sure I am in the best possible shape for the games against Pakistan in January. It`s not 100 per cent confirmed I`ll not play in India, but I`ll only play if the rehab goes fantastically well," Broad was quoted as saying by media.
Broad was apprehensive that he would need a surgery but intensive physiotherapy has helped him to avoid going under the knife.
"It`s good news that I don`t need surgery," added Broad. "There is always an extra risk with surgery so that would be a worry. It is a two-month recovery time, though, so I need to get that right and make sure it is completely over and I don`t have any side-effects with it," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended