Guj defeat Baroda by two runs in low-scoring thriller
Mumbai: Gujarat defeated Baroda by two runs in a low scoring thriller to register their first win in the west zone round for the Vijay Hazare Trophy here on Saturday.
Invited to bat first at the Mumbai Cricket Association`s BKC stadium, Gujarat could manage only 196-9 in their 50 overs with skipper Niraj Patel top-scoring with 56 (77b, 4x7) and Mehul Patel (29 not out) and Amit Singh (21) chipping in with useful scores.
M Vahora (2-34) and A Karambelkar (2-41) shone with the ball for Baroda.
In reply, Baroda, who were cruising at 108-2 in the 24th over, were bowled out for 194 in the last over.
Baroda had a good start with openers K Devdhar (33) and A Waghmode (27) adding 66 runs in 13.3 overs for the first wicket.
After their quick dismissals, one-down Ambati Rayudu (20) and veteran Rakesh Solanki (52) took the score to 108 before Rayudu was dismissed by offie Mohnish Parmar. His dismissal triggered a collapse as Baroda lost quick wickets, including that of India discard Yusuf Pathan (3) and slumped to 132-6.
However, Solanki, who faced 88 balls and hit five fours, held fort at one end and in the company of Swapnil Singh (25) added 40 runs for the seventh wicket before being dismissed, leaving Baroda needing 23 runs in 39 balls.
Gujarat, however, picked up a wicket each in the 48th, 49th, and the final over to dash Baroda`s hopes.
The trio of Parmar (2-33), Akshar Patel (2-31), and Mehul Patel (2-34) did most of the damage by not only slowing down the rate of scoring rate but also chipping in with regular wickets.
Gujarat have opened their account with four points after three matches following this win, while Baroda have lost both their matches.
Brief scores: Gujarat 196-9 in 50 overs (Niraj Patel 56, Mehul Patel 29, Amit Singh 21; M Vahora 2-34, A Karambelkar 2-41) defeat Baroda 194 all out in 49.1 overs (Rakesh Solanki 53, K Devdhar 33, A Waghmode 27; M Parmar 2-33, Akshar Patel 2-31, and Mehul Patel 2-34).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof