Gujarat declare at 479/8, Odisha reach 111 for one on day 2
Motera: Venugopal Rao scored a century as Gujarat declared at 479 for eight before Odisha reached 111 for one at stumps on day two of their Ranji Trophy Group `A` match here on Monday.
Resuming on 287 for three, overnight batsman Rao, starting on 68, went on to score a 277-ball 177 laced with 22 fours and two sixes to put the hosts in a strong position. The other overnight batsman -- centurion Parthiv Patel -- however failed to add any run to his last night`s score of 109.
Rao played a responsible innings and also put on a solid 93-run stand for the seventh wicket with Jesal Karia, who chipped in with crucial 39 runs.
Rao`s dismissal prompted Gujarat to declare at 479. For Odisha, Jayanta Behera took three for 111.
Odisha began well with Girija Rout (39) putting on 111 with Natraj Behera for the opening wicket before falling lbw to Jasprit Bumrah off the last ball of the day.
Odisha still trail Gujarat by 368 runs with nine wickets in hand. At stumps, Natraj was batting on 64 and he remains on course for his fourth century in as many innings.
Gujarat 1st innings: 479 for 8 dec (Parthiv Patel 109, Venugopal Rao 177; Jayanta Behera 3/111).
Odisha 1st innings: 111 for one in 41 overs (Natraj Behera batting 64).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon