Gujarat take an upper hand against Mumbai
Valsad: Gujarat placed themselves in a strong position as they first took a 99-run first innings lead over Mumbai and then reduced the visitors to 76 for four in their second essay on day two of their Ranji Trophy Group A match here today.
In reply to Mumbai 154, Gujarat posted 253 all out in their first innings to take a solid lead.
At stumps, Mumbai were struggling with their top four batsmen back in the pavillion. Hiken Shah and Iqbal Abdulla, both unbeaten on four each, were at the crease.
Earlier, resuming on 90 for two, Gujarat lost their overnight batsman Parthiv Patel, who added just one more run to his overnight score of five, early.
But the other overnight batsman in Samit Gohel, resuming on 36, went on to complete his half century. He scored a fine 58 off 171 balls, laced with five hits to the fence.
Y Venugopal Rao (39), Akshar Patel (36) and Chirag Gandhi (26) also chipped in with valuable runs but none of them could convert their scores into a big one.
For Mumbai, Iqbal Abdulla was the the pick of the bowlers with figures of six for 42, while Shardul Thakur (3/54) claimed three.
In their second innings also, Mumbai got off to a poor start as they were straightaway reduced to 18 for two.
Although skipper Wasim Jaffer (16) and Suryakumar Yadav (34) steadied the boat, putting on a 33-run stand for the third wicket, they failed to see the day off.
Gujarat`s medium pacer Jasprit Bumrah (3/12) chipped in with three important wickets to give the hosts an upper hand at the end of the second day.
Mumbai: 154 & 76 for four in 33 overs (Suryakumar Yadav 34; Jasprit Bumrah 3/12).
Gujarat: 253 (Samit Gohel 58, Y Venugopal Rao 39, Akshar Patel 36; Iqbal Abdulla 6/42, Shardul Thakur 3/54).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says