Gurunath spends night in lock-up, to be produced in court
Mumbai: After spending a night in the crime branch lock-up, Gurunath Meiyappan, son-in-law of BCCI chief N. Srinivasan is likely to be produced before a magistrate for remand here Saturday afternoon, police sources said.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy said early Saturday that Meiyappan, who was arrested around midnight, would be produced before a court within 24 hours.
"We have sufficient evidence to conclude his involvement in the spot fixing case," Roy told media-persons.
Since Saturday is a public holiday on account of Buddha Purnima and tomorrow being Sunday, Meiyappan is likely to be produced before a special holiday magistrate Saturday afternoon.
Meiyappan, who was summoned to appear before Mumbai police investigating spot fixing, wanted time till Monday, but the plea was rejected.
He rushed here post-haste by a chartered flight from Madurai and walked into the arms of the waiting team of crime branch sleuths at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport domestic terminal.
Subsequently, he was taken to the Crime Branch headquarters near Crawford Market in south Mumbai and grilled for three hours.
Among other things, he was questioned about his role and involvement in spot fixing, his betting habits and links, whether he indulged in betting and had reportedly lost around Rs.10 million at the behest of Bollywood actor Vindoo Dara Singh Randhawa, who is also in police custody.
He was also confronted with the evidences available with the police and the details of investigations of Vindoo and other bookies already in custody.
Meiyappan`s arrest marks a course-changing twist in the ongoing IPL-6 spot fixing case busted with the arrest of three Rajasthan Royals cricketers S. Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan, by the Delhi police in Mumbai.
Moving swiftly, the Mumbai police last week nabbed six bookies - Ramesh Vyas, Pandurang Kadam, Pravin Bera, Pankaj Shah, Ashok Vyas and Neeraj &ndash, who remain in custody.
After Vindoo`s interrogation, police nabbed a bookie Prem Taneja and a hawala operator Alpesh Patel and recovered Rs.12.80 million cash from his house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset