Guyana face deadline over hosting Windies-Pakistan Test
St. John`s (Antigua): Guyana has been given a deadline to indicate whether or not it can host a Test match between West Indies and Pakistan in July.
The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) announced Monday afternoon that a March 7 deadline has been set for the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) to say if the match can take place in the country.
A release from the WICB said the GCB was informed of the deadline on the 16th of last month.
"The West Indies Cricket Board has announced that it had given the Guyana Cricket Board a deadline of March 7 to advise on its ability to host the West Indies v Pakistan first Test slated for July," the statement said.
The WICB has also announced that Jamaica`s Sabina Park has been identified as an alternate venue should the GCB not be in a position to host the Test.
The deadline comes in the face of ongoing controversy in Guyana over disputed elections to elect a new GCB executive in 2011.
The disputed election had led to the Guyana government dissolving the GCB and replacing it with an Interim Management Committee (IMC) which the WICB had refused to recognise.
In January the WICB said it was pleased with the progress being made to resolve the impasse and announced that an international fixture was tentatively set for Guyana.
However, fresh elections to vote in a new GCB executive in January have also been hounded by controversy amid claims that the process was illegal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened