Guyana government blasts WICB
Georgetown (Guyana): The Guyana government has condemned the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for sending two directors to witness recent general elections of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB).
Head of the Presidential Secretariat and Cabinet Secretary Roger Luncheon has accused the WICB of disregarding the ruling of the high court which had issued an injunction stopping the elections from taking place.
Luncheon`s comments represent the latest development in a lingering conflict stemming from disputed elections in 2011, the dissolution of the GCB and WICB`s refusal to recognise the interim management committee set up by government to replace the GCB.
"Equally condemned, was the continuing permissive and objectionable role of the West Indies Cricket Board in their defence of the discredited GCB executives and implicitly joining them in defiance of the court ruling," Luncheon said.
Two WICB officials witnessed the elections that adopted a new constitution and appointed Dru Bahadur as the new president.
One of the directors, Conde Riley, was quoted in the Guyana newspaper Kaieteur news as saying he was satisfied with the process.
However Luncheon noted that the WICB was aware of the legal issues surrounding the GCB when it sent representatives to observe the poll "and proceeded to anoint the new office bearers."
"Cabinet deplored these negative developments," he was quoted by the Government Information Agency (GINA) as saying after a cabinet meeting reviewing the status and recent developments in Guyana`s cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical