Guyana government blasts WICB
Georgetown (Guyana): The Guyana government has condemned the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for sending two directors to witness recent general elections of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB).
Head of the Presidential Secretariat and Cabinet Secretary Roger Luncheon has accused the WICB of disregarding the ruling of the high court which had issued an injunction stopping the elections from taking place.
Luncheon`s comments represent the latest development in a lingering conflict stemming from disputed elections in 2011, the dissolution of the GCB and WICB`s refusal to recognise the interim management committee set up by government to replace the GCB.
"Equally condemned, was the continuing permissive and objectionable role of the West Indies Cricket Board in their defence of the discredited GCB executives and implicitly joining them in defiance of the court ruling," Luncheon said.
Two WICB officials witnessed the elections that adopted a new constitution and appointed Dru Bahadur as the new president.
One of the directors, Conde Riley, was quoted in the Guyana newspaper Kaieteur news as saying he was satisfied with the process.
However Luncheon noted that the WICB was aware of the legal issues surrounding the GCB when it sent representatives to observe the poll "and proceeded to anoint the new office bearers."
"Cabinet deplored these negative developments," he was quoted by the Government Information Agency (GINA) as saying after a cabinet meeting reviewing the status and recent developments in Guyana`s cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble