Halep`s dream year continues, beats Stosur to win Kremlin Cup
Moscow: Romanian Simona Halep`s superb year continued on Sunday as she captured her fifth title of the year beating Australian Samantha Stosur 7-6 (7/1), 6-2 in the final of the Kreamlin Cup in Moscow.
The 22-year-old fifth seed -- ranked 18 in the world -- took 1hr 41minutes to defeat her seventh-seeded opponent and 2011 US Open champion and record only her second win in five meetings with the Australian.
"It`s an incredible year for me and I am enjoying every moment of it," said Halep, who is projected to break into the Top 15 after her latest win.
"Now I already have all of my thoughts about the Tournament of Champions in Sofia (the second tier end of season tournament, the top event taking place in Istanbul in the coming week).
"It`s a very special event for me and I`m preparing thoroughly for it and hope to perform there at my top level."
Halep and Stosur, who was looking for her second successive title hgaving won in Osaka last Sunday, were evenly -matched throughout the first set but the Romanian took a firm grip on the tie-break to take the set in just over an hour.
Stosur, 29, started the second set brightly breaking her opponent immediately but Halep, who has won all of her four previous finals this year, stepped up a gear and broke back before breaking Stosur`s serve on another two occasions to ease to victory.
At the award ceremony the winner Halep received a silver trophy by Cartier and a $132,470 cheque, while runner-up Stosur pocketed $70,728.
Later on Sunday top seeded Frenchman Richard Gasquet will face Kazakhstan qualifier Mikhail Kukushkin in the ATP final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion