Hales guides Eng to victory in T20; misses ton by one run
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Trent Bridge: Alex Hales playing in his fifth T20 international match scored 99 runs which helped England defeat West Indies by 7 wickets in the one-off T20 match played at Trent Bridge.
Hales shared a record 159-run partnership with Ravi Bopara (59 from 44) as England comfortably chased down the target of 172 runs.
Darren Sammy won the toss and decided to bat first, something which didn’t work for him early in the innings as West Indies lost three wickets, including the big one of Chris Gayle for just 33 runs. As wickets fell at regular intervals, Dwayne Smith continued to play his natural game clearing boundaries every now and then.
Smith (70 from 54) was dismissed by Finn in the 16th over of the innings after which Kieron Pollard and Dwyane Smith surprisingly changed gears and the last four overs yielded 63 runs for the Windies. At one stage, they were struggling to reach 160, but as a result of some brutal hitting by Bravo (54* from 36) in particular, West Indies managed to score a formidable score.
The T20 World Champs lost Kieswetter early in the innings after which Hales and Ravi Bopara dominated the game. Both the batsmen scored runs freely all across the ground and Hales was unfortunate as he fell one run short by creating history. He could have become the only England cricketer to reach the three-figure mark in a T20I.
After humiliating losses in the Test series, West Indies managed to put up some fight, but it wasn’t good enough to make a match of it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir